Thursday, March 10, 2016

Week 3

Hey Guys!

This week was mostly spent finding some of the materials I needed to build my device. I wanted to build a device with mostly commonplace materials so that it would both be affordable and easily assembled by anyone (including for classroom demonstrations of the applications of renewable energy).

My mentor and I looked through the materials that he had in his office and lab to see what we could find. We found that we already had some graphite rods that we could use for the electrodes and also found a container full of Na2SO­4 that would work for our salt.


Additionally we found an old copper tube that could be used as the collection tube.



Next week, I will have to research more about where I can find a suitable container and seals. When my mentor built a similar device before, one of the problems he ran into was the sealing. The cap on the container was not tight enough to prevent the escape of gases and the sealing on the collection tube, duct tape, as pictured above (I got the copper collection tube from his earlier device) was not adequate either. I hope to find a better method to seal the gaps. 

4 comments:

  1. Do you know why duct tape is not a proper sealant? Because, typically duct tape is suitable for all kinds of jobs including insulation between water and the inside of an object.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question Farhan! While duct tape is adequate for many seals, it is not airtight like I need it to be for my device. It would still allow for gas to escape from the container through the gaps in the tape.

      Delete
  2. Let me know how finding a seal works. I know you want it to be reusable but you may have to make a few that are not reusable to make sure they don't leak. I recommend something liquid and pliable that hardens to get that seal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr. Ray, that's a good suggestion. I'll make sure to give those a try and keep you updated on how it's going! I bought some caulk recently and will present my ideas to my mentor this week and will test if caulk can be used as an effective seal.

      Delete