Friday, February 12, 2016

Research Proposal
(Subject to Change)


Title of Project
Enhancing the Efficiency of the Solar Water Splitting Technology

Statement of Purpose
This research proposal aims to demonstrate the use of renewable methods to generate usable energy. In researching, I will try to determine whether or not solar power can be used to provide the energy to split water into its constituents, hydrogen and oxygen, so that there is enough hydrogen to be useful for combustion. I will then further research how to make the device more efficient.

Background
As a future electrical engineering student, I find this topic interesting because it gives me my first experience in the field. Solar water splitting involves using the energy gathered from solar panels to reverse the process of water formation. This energy is transferred via metal tubes to break down the water molecules into their constituents, H2 and O2, in their gaseous state. The gases are then collected and combusted to provide usable energy. The reverse reaction requires a minimum input of 1.23 eV according to current research and I will attempt to devise the most efficient method to exceed this threshold and maximize combustion. I have taken Advanced Placement Chemistry and Physics so I am prepared to study this topic. After reading about engineering, I have found it enjoyable to apply concepts from many of the different subjects I have taken to create devices and I am therefore excited to start my research.

Significance
The use of nonrenewable sources for power generation is a global issue because the supply of these sources can’t be guaranteed forever.  Solar and nuclear energy provide the most output energy for the amount of input energy. However, nuclear power is still not as widespread as solar, therefore researching in building and maximizing the efficiency of solar powered energy sources is a promising investment because it could be a potential renewable replacement for nonrenewable energy. Because the combustion of nonrenewable energy and the subsequent release of greenhouse gases has been linked to global warming, investigating whether or not solar power would serve as an effective alternative is critical to protecting the environment from the consequences of increasing global temperatures. My research is therefore important because it takes a step towards innovating technology to aid in this initiative.

Research Methodology
In order to complete my research project, I will be working alongside my professor in his lab. We will first use batteries to determine which voltage is most efficient for the process before obtaining a solar panel and using solar energy for the same process. Using copper metal tubes, a container, water, salts, sealing, panels/batteries and other materials, I will build and improve upon a device to split water into oxygen and hydrogen. If the emitted gas (hydrogen) burns, then it will be an indicator of a successful working device. I may use library books, research papers, and scientific manuscripts to aid in my understanding and to discover methods others may be using to make similar devices to improve upon the efficiency of my own device.

Anticipated Problems
The problems I may encounter while researching are mainly issues with the functioning of the device. I would have to figure out first and foremost how to seal the container edges and the gaps where holes are made to ensure there is no gas (hydrogen) leakage when the experiment is performed. I would have to figure out which salt would be best to ionize in the water and whether or not the concentration of the salt will affect the efficiency of the process. I would have to determine which metal would be best to conduct electricity from the panels to the water and the diameter these tubes and the gas collection tube should be. I would also have to figure out which voltage would make the reaction run most smoothly. If the reaction doesn’t work as planned, I would have to check all of these variables, and possibly others I have not considered, to find the source of the problem.

Bibliography
Coveney, Donna. "Solar-Power Breakthrough." MIT Technology Review. N.p., 31 July 2008. Web. 10 Dec. 2015.
Payne Research Group. "Solar Water Splitting." SYNTHESIS AND CHARACTERISATION OF FUNCTIONAL OXIDE MATERIALS. N.p., 25 Sept. 2011. Web. 10 Dec. 2015

2 comments:

  1. So, when I read about this technology, I begin imagining futuristic cars "running on water". Is that the kind of someday application this would be considered for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, solar water splitting technology could potentially have a widespread use in fueling cars. The hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicle market has been growing, however, the major issue they face is the high cost in generating energy. As solar panels become more efficient, less energy is wasted as heat and converting solar energy into electrical energy is also more effective. This is good for those trying to develop cars that run from solar water splitting, because they obtain more output for their input, thus decreasing cost.

      Delete